Radon is an odorless, invisible gas produced when naturally occurring radioactive minerals in the soil begin to decay. When released in a closed environment, such as a basement or crawl space, the radon is sucked into the main living areas of the home, because the air always moves upwards within a building.
Once indoors, radon can reach very high, hazardous concentration levels, and when people breathe in this gas, radioactive particles stick to their lungs, causing irritation and cellular decay. Exposure to high radon concentration levels is linked to lung cancer. In fact, it is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S.
Central Tennessee and Southwestern Kentucky area homes often show high levels of radon in tests and for that reason, Layne and Judy Gebers strongly encourage everyone in the area to test their homes.
The test is relatively simple and can literally save lives. If high levels of radon are found in your home, radon mitigation systems can be installed to bring them down to safe levels.
"We want more than just homeowners testing for radon. We want daycares and local school systems to test for radon and make sure our children are safe," explains Judy. If you'd like more information about radon, radon testing, and radon mitigation, call us.
our service area